All readings are to be completed before we meet for that week. When there are multiple readings, attack them in the order they are listed.
Week 1 – January 23
Introductions; Body, Gesture, Movement
Week 2-January 30
Social Construction & Material Reality: What is a somatic fiction?
Emily Martin, The Egg and The Sperm
Week 3-February 6th
Governing Bodies: Introduction to Biopolitics
Giorgio Agamben, “What is an apparatus?” Page 1-24
Week 4-February 13th
Week 5-February 27th
Political Economy & Body Politics I
Shelly McKenzie, Getting Physical: The Rise of Fitness Culture in America YOU GOTTA BUY THIS BOOK!!
Week 6-March 6th
Political Economy & Body Politics II
Week 7-March 20th
Sex Work I
Paul B. Preciado, Testo Junkie: Sex, Drugs, and Biopolitics in the Pharmacopornographic Era
YOU HAVE TO BUY THIS BOOK!!!!!!! it’s also available on kindle though.
Week 8-March 27th
Sex Work II
Margot Weiss, Techniques of pleasure: BDSM and the Circuits of Sexuality
another book you have to buy!!!!!!
Film: Live Nude Girls Unite!
Week 9-April 3rd
Race and Corporeality
Week 10-April 10th
The Black Athlete
Nicole Fleetwood, “Introduction” and “The Black Athlete: Racial Precarity and the American Sports Icon,” from On Racial Icons: Blackness and the Public Imagination.
Week 11- April 17th
Case Study: Jack Johnson
Theresa Runstedtler, Jack Johnson: Rebel Sojourner. ANOTHER BOOK TO BUY!! THIS IS THE LAST ONE!
Week 12-April 24th
- Claudia Rankine, “The Meaning of Serena Williams.” (New York Times)
- Gia Courlas, “Where are all the black swans?” (New York Times)
- Ariel Levy, “A Ring of One’s Own”
- watch “T-Rex: Her Fight for Gold” (netflix)
- listen: Another Round, Episode 61: The Greatest
Week 13-May 1st
Resistance & Experimentation
- Gilles Deleuze & Felix Guattari, “6. November 28, 1947: How Do You Make Yourself a Body Without Organs? ” from A Thousand Plateaus (page 149-166)
- Deb Levine, “How To Do Things With Dead Bodies”
- Barbara Browning, “Pussy Riot’s Act of Faith”